The Graph Of Ideas

3 Jul

Update: Graph has now been made interactive.

I was originally put onto network visualisation by Simon Raper by his fantastic post graphing the history of philosophy. I’ve learned a lot in the last week and decided to be ambitious. I wanted to see what the entire network would look like – with everyone on Wikipedia. Well, everyone with an infobox containing ‘influences’ and/or ‘influenced by’. For those unfamiliar to this work please see his post first – even if it is just for the pictures!

For those new to these types of graphs: the node size represents the number of connections. To create the following graph I used a database version of Wikipedia to extract all the people with known influences. I then scaled the nodes by their degree of influence. The bigger the node, the bigger influence that person had on the rest of the network. Nietzsche, Kant, Hegel, Hemingway, Shakespeare, Plato, Aristotle, Kafka, and Lovecraft all appear as the largest nodes. Around these nodes, cluster other personalities who are similarly related thinkers/authors. I used a module to highlight communities in different colours which revealed sub-networks within the total structure. You’ll notice common themes amongst similarly coloured authors.

Method

1. First I queried Snorql and retrieved every person who had a registered ‘influence’ or registered ‘influenced by’ value (restricted to people only so if they were influenced by ‘anime’, they were excluded).
  2. I then decoded these using a neat little URL decoder and imported them into Microsoft Excel for further processing (removing things like ‘(Musician)’ and other similar syntax).
  3. ‘Influenced By’ entries were also included by reversing the order of influence. Duplicates found in the ‘influences’ list were then removed. This ensured a more complete dataset.
  4. I then exported these as a csv and imported into Gephi and proceeded as usual. Fruchterman-Reingold algorithm followed by Force Atlas 2. I then identified communities using ‘Modularity’ and edited the rest in Preview. Due to the size, I’ve had to zoom up and take snapshots on regions of interest.
  5. The csv file containing all of the data can be obtained here so you can make your own maps.

Caveats

1. The graph is obviously biased towards Western ideologies and culture – the people entering in the information are after all primarily English speakers. It must be said: There are a great many influential people missing from the graph.
  2. The graph is created from the datasets of dbpedia and so is intrinsically incomplete. By exactly how much? Well, I need to run a few more tests. Many human endeavours are sadly missing.
  3. This work is just trying to demonstrate that by combining the power of new open-source tools with the vast quantity of the information on the Internet, one can create useful and informative networks.
  4. The community identification was done using an in-built module of Gephi so I apologise if you disagree with some of the groupings.
  5. What does the word influence actually mean? Material? Ideological? I for one don’t know the motivations behind the connections shown — I am simply using the relations entered into Wikipedia by its contributors. Please make those you share this graph with aware of this crucial point.

The Future

1. I would like to compare this network to the Indiana Philosophy Ontology Project and the database at Freebase.
  2. I already have designed a poster version and if there is sufficient interest, I can make this available. Update: Posters are now available! Version 1 & Version 2. Now VERSION 3 (Poster Version)
  3. Explore other algorithms on faster PCs. I am limited by the processing power of my desktop and had to resort using Force Atlas 2 in Gephi and good timing. On a faster machine, the other force algorithms might bring out the richness of the network in a more aesthetic manner but this is what will have to do for now.

The Network

I restricted the network to only include nodes which have 4 or more connections otherwise my computer crashes trying to render the full network. It also allows you to read the names of people who you probably are more interested in. Doing this however does remove many people from the network. Apart from this one selection, nothing else is altered.

There are a few main communities (roughly):

• Red – 19th/20th century philosophers
  • Green – antiquity & enlightenment philosophers
  • Pink – enlightenment authors
  • Yellow – 19th/20th century authors
  • Orange – fiction author
  • Purple – comedians

These can be broken down in to further categories but to avoid flame-wars I’m going to avoid breaking the network down much further.

I get a real kick by starting at one node and travelling down the connections to a distantly related someone else. People in philosophy influenced fantasy writers who influenced comedians. It shows one thing above all: the evolution of ideas is a non-linear process. We too, are somewhere in this web, albeit at a smaller scale. We too, are the sum of many.

In Gephi, it is far more interactive because you can highlight nodes and every node that one is connected to becomes highlighted. You can search any name you wish and it becomes highlighted within the network. The list goes on.

Now for some pretty pictures. Click to enlarge as some text might be hard to read at the resolution set below. For best viewing, click here for the ability to dynamically zoom about the graph.

The Graph Of Ideas

Highlights include:

Philosophers of antiquity influencing 18th, 19th and 20th century philosophers.

Philosophers influencing authors.

The dominant figures of the landscape.

Philosophers of the ancient world.

The comedians. George Carlin & Richard Pryor are the dominant influences.

The fantasy/fiction writers.

19th and 20th century authors

Their influences come from an earlier generation. No clear boundaries here however.

We now come to the most influential people of the landscape (largest nodes). Keep in mind the various biases involved here. The philosophy biographies on Wikipedia tend to have more detailed content (and info boxes) and so will naturally be larger nodes in the network.

The big hitters.

An earlier generation of thinkers. Interestingly the bottom section of the network is essentially chronological – starting from the philosophers of antiquity (far left, green) and ending in the 20th century philosophers (far right, red).

The earlier generation of philosophers.

A patchwork of ideas.

Leave any questions or comments you might have in the comments section below. I’d love to hear of any suggestions for future networks.

UPDATE: As requested, there are poster versions now available: Version 1 & Version 2.
UPDATE: I have also created a graph which includes upstream connections between thinkers. Check it out here.

About these ads

132 Responses to “The Graph Of Ideas”

1. simonraper July 3, 2012 at 7:07 am #

This is fantastic Griff. The literature part is amazing. I’ll put a link from my post to yours. By the way I did do exactly what you described for the influenced by part to get a fuller list (i.e. extract both, invert one and dedupe) I was just a bit lazy in the write up!. So glad some one has done it!

Simon

• Griff July 3, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Thanks Simon! This is really fascinating stuff and I wouldn’t have ever done anything if I hadn’t read your original post. Thanks for the link. I also made a correction so people know you did the right thing! :)

• András August 18, 2012 at 3:29 am #

I wonder if this is a scale-free network, and also what the distribution of the lobby index (see e.g. http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.0514) is like.

Also: are there any hidden influencers? Nodes with a high lobby index but relatively low degree?

Anyone care to look into that? :)

2. PTM July 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

That’s really great, Simon. Do you mind sharing the data so that I could try my hand on visualizing them using different layouts in Gephi?

3. nourathar July 4, 2012 at 12:23 am #

fantastic; is there any way for you to share a higher-resolution version of the whole graph so that we can explore it ? It would be great to print out on a big size too…

4. thegracefulcyclists July 4, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I might have missed this but what is the basis of the layout. Could it be arranged to show the most influential place in the world for example?

• Griff July 4, 2012 at 7:00 am #

There is no basis per se. Their positions are determined by two force algorithms. You gave me an idea though. Stay tuned. :)

• EdTechGuy July 17, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Agreed. This would be cool. I could also imagine adding directionality to the edges either based on date of birth or who dbpedia says influenced who. It would be interesting to see separately who were the generators and integrators of great thought.

I imagine directionality of the edges, location, and date of birth/death data would let you do a lot of cool things a few off the top:

- Identifying “most influential place” (as thegracefulcyclists mentioned)
      - Tracking the centroid of thought generation over time
      - Separating the great thought generators and integrators
      - Identifying “downstream impact” of the early great thinkers (i.e. George Carlin is rightly measured by the breadth of his influence, but Galileo’s contribution is better measured about the incredible fruitfulness of his discoveries than the number of peers he immediately touched).

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Great suggestions. I am working on a new version which has some of what you suggest. :)

5. felix July 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

nice work man! fascinating structures! now, about making this available in higher resolution: are you actually going to do this? or is this all about selling posters at redbubble? please don’t try to capitalize this. after all simonraper figured it out and shared it with everybody. so it would be nice if you did too! thanks for being social. felix

• Griff July 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

I will make a high resolution graph available. Some friends and family wanted to buy a poster so I made one just for them. I’ll make the full data and graphic available soon! Information should be free – the option to buy is there as exactly that – an option. I’ll let you know when it is available if you like. Thanks for the comment.

• Griff July 8, 2012 at 1:32 am #

Hi Felix,

I have made the csv file available for public use. See the link in the text. The post version shows a high resolution version but I can make a better version if you would like. Let me know.

Thanks.
      Griff

• pmetaxas July 8, 2012 at 2:29 am #

Thank you so much. I think it will enable important discussions, not only on the lines of influence, but also on the perception of the recorders of influence (I think someone else also commented on that).

The first thing I did was to compute the pagerank of the nodes, and the results surprised me initially – it shows Feyerabend, Acamben and Lakatos to be the most “important” philosophers (in terms of the algorithm that finds the most “important” web sites and the most “important” scholars according to publication citations). But what essentially shows is the understandably uneven efforts of those editing the ontologies – not their fault, most of the time.

I think we need to introduce some computation where influence is credited backwards somehow, to those who influenced many.

6. felix July 8, 2012 at 8:57 am #

thanks a lot! sorry if i sounded a bit harsh. no offense intended. i totally appreciate your effort and i would love to see even more people pick up this idea. best. felix

7. Sorin July 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Griff, lots of romanian in the midle of the graph. Care to explain the reason?
    Thanks

• Griff July 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

My only guess is that Romanian thinkers influence one another. The same can be said of Arabic scholars and authors and other clusters. Given the isolation of certain schools of thought in history, it makes sense that thinkers of similar cultural backgrounds are located close to one another.

8. Monkey Push Button July 16, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

The graph and the idea behind it are astounding.

Can’t help noticing some dodgy philosopher classifications though. Bertrand Russel, Whitehead, Popper and Wittgenstein are Antiquity \ Enlightenment? Even Turing and Noam Chomsky??

Amazing work, looking forward to exploring it more.

• Griff July 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Yes, they are very general classifications and wrong in some way. You highlight the main point though, everything is connected; everyone feeds off another. :)

9. slimjim July 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

I appreciate the effort, but you should really change the title. It’s misleading and obviously not what it appears to be. Sites like Gizmodo apparently can’t be bothered to read the asterisk notes and claim it’s the “World’s” ideas. But thanks for showing what could be done.

• Griff July 16, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Do you have some suggestions as to what it should be changed to? Do you mean the blog post or the chart? I believe the emphasis is on the reader to properly understand what is going on. I’ll make an edit to remind people to read the caveats. Clearly my disclaimer and ample notification isn’t working…

10. Jeff July 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

This is a fantastic achievement and a great start for further exploration! I think many folks will be eagerly awaiting the full data graphic (can’t imagine how large that will be!). I am curious how you distinguished between individuals and groups (I saw a Monty Python node in there)

• Griff July 16, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

The full graph would be billions of people and require several gigapixels to properly view! “influence” is highly subjective and it could be quite misleading to make a proper map with everyone. Humans naturally adopt answers which *feel* right but rarely are. All sorts of biases are involved in this sort of stuff so one has to be careful! I didn’t select anything really… Monty Python has an infobox with influences and so that was scooped up. I did no manual selection of any of the data. Thanks for comment!

11. chuckbo July 17, 2012 at 3:20 am #

I’m curious about the graph & absence of some of the heavyweights. I didn’t find Luther or Athanasius or Augustine or Calvin, and I wondered if it’s a result of your filter that left them abandoned of any category or whether it’s a lack of reference articles in Wikipedia.

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 7:34 am #

I had to remove people with less than 3 connections otherwise the graph was too big to handle. If you find someone on Wikipedia with influences then check the number of connections before looking.

12. Ian July 17, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Very cool. I think it would be very interesting to instead the color dimension to represent the date that each person was born. Either a two-color gradient or a rainbow – red for the first born and violet for the most recently born. This would accentuate the pioneers of each community who maybe aren’t as connected as their more contemporary counterparts. I imagine that the early philosophers just below and left of center would also stand out as a concentration of early contributors.

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Yes, there is a whole another dimension to the graph which is largely unexplored. In my current works in progress I am trying to bring out this hidden information to make the graph a little more enlightening. Stay tuned!

13. Matthew Hutson July 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Why doesn’t Socrates have a big node next to Plato and Aristotle?

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

That was one of my first thoughts. There are a number of nodes which probably should be larger by any definition of ‘influence’ (and some smaller too). In terms of the data, I am just plotting what Wikipedia provided me with not an objective graph (whatever that means). I’m working on something at the moment which you might be more pleased with – stay tuned.

In any case, perhaps one could argue that because we get all of our understanding of Socrates from Plato (and a few others) that he should in fact be larger anyway? I may be clasping at straws here though. I think in philosophical circles Plato is regarded to have had a bigger influence on the history of ideas than Socrates but this is just an aggregate opinion pulled out of my head from a few readings over the years (e.g. Whitehead stated ‘everything is a footnote to Plato’ and Bertrand Russell somewhat agreed but believe his influence to be negative). Who knows the answer to such things? Not me.

Great site too Matthew, I’ll have a read of some of your pieces when I get time. Thanks for stopping by.

• Matthew Hutson July 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks Griff. I’m no expert on Socrates, but it’s just surprising to me that Wikipedia’s contributors have not judged many people (if anyone) to have been influenced by Socrates, given that he’s one of the few philosophers many people can name off the top of their heads. He even influenced the excellent Bill and Ted.

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Haha yes you’re quite right though apart from his name, can the average person state anything he did? Plato’s allegory of the cave and republic of philosopher kings are more famous as ideas than any idea Socrates came up with, despite the fact people know his name. It is a problem with these “thoughts” of things… What does influence actually mean?

• Matthew Hutson July 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Good question. Are you using the Socratic method on me?

• Griff July 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Haha, checkmate.

14. RGSANE July 18, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Nice idea and realization. It is even hard to imagine how one can further continue the work on graph, e.g. by adding the interactivity, decsription of influence and ideas to the edges… Anyway, one always want to have the whole picture and you gave it to us.

Also it is not clear from the pictures, do you have a “dynamical model”, where the dots are developed in time turning into the net? If yes, is there any “videos”?

15. heinznachtigall July 18, 2012 at 7:55 am #

This chart is pure awesomeness – it has a lot of potential for further functionality – e.g. a search function would be awesome to locate a POI; also a 3d-chart would be even cooler, one where u could highlight connection like in the “Collusion” add-on for firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/collusion/?src=api); Some filters would be useful too – e.g. time period, influence weighting, categories etc…

I am somewhat flabbergasted that heavyweights like Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson and Arthur C. Clarke seem to have so low impact on the chart… all in all the connections and their weighting appear kinda arbitrary…

Anyways keep up the amazing work !!!

16. Baboon July 18, 2012 at 10:16 am #

where are the women?

• Griff July 18, 2012 at 10:21 am #

They are there but still under represented sadly. This is both a result of having male dominated history and a limited data set. I did what I could using the data available.

17. Gaye Crispin July 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Fabulous , #loveyourwork , shared and followed :)

18. Friedrich July 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Thank you. It´s great. Now the outstanding importance of my favorite philosopher Nietzsche ist made clear.

19. Thomas July 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

I think this is a nice piece of work. But (although I’m both fan of visualizations and Nietzsche) I think the significance of it is rather low, unfortunately. The problem is best described when looking at Luther. He may not been cited very often in an academic sense but as translator of the latin bible into German and “creator” of the Lutheran theology he surely is one of the biggest influences ever (just read Marx or Max Weber’s The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism). As useful as your quantitative approach is it might not explain whose ideas are the most influential or show the “value” of a citation but show what Wikipedia authors found as citations when searching on Google.

• Jeff July 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

That is why the graph is such an important start though. It clearly indicates the type of information that cannot be found within Wikipedia such as the weight of the edges and the way in which the individual was influence.

20. lgovro July 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

Fabulous works! Methodological question: do you use English Wikipedia only, or all versions of Wikipedia? English one is the most important, but some articles can be more developped in some languages. For example, in literature graph, french writers same less represented for me than english ones. (Article in French Wiki are more complete on french topics.) I don’t critic your work, wich is very impressive, I just want to understand where your data come from. Merci!

• Griff July 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

I only queried the English Wikipedia. Linking all of the Wikipedia’s together would take a bit more work because you would have to remove names which appear twice since a single person might have two differently spelled names. Perhaps this is something you could do! :)

21. Pascal Wallisch July 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Good work, but I do think you should change the title. Yes, I am aware that this has been discussed before. But it is important, as it detracts from the magnitude of the work. It doesn’t graph every idea in history. In fact, it graphs no ideas whatsoever. I would want to order a poster, but I can’t hang it on my wall as is.
    It depicts some influential thinkers and their interrelations. Thus, I would call it “A depiction of the most influential thinkers and the relations between them” or – more succinctly – “Influential thinkers and the relations between them”.

Congrats on graphing this.

• Griff July 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I can make a version just for you and send you the link. Would “Thinkers & Their Influences” be OK? Let me know and I’ll send you the link. White background I presume?

• Pascal Wallisch July 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I think that would be awesome. Not just for me ;)

• Griff July 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Do you just want a plain white background?
        Do you want the accompanying text in the bottom right?

I’ll leave the title in the post but offer this 3rd version to the poster.

• Griff September 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Hi Pascal, Does the Graph Of Thinkers suffice? Let me know if this is better.

22. Pascal Wallisch July 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

I think white background plus legend (text in the bottom right) is a winning combination.

Will order as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks!

23. Glisten July 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Reblogged this on Magellan Courses and commented:
    This is too good not to share!

24. Oren Bochman July 30, 2012 at 8:56 am #

can you specify the license of these images – we might feature it in Wikpedia’s research newsletter if it is CC-SA thanks

25. Matt August 21, 2012 at 3:07 am #

Would like to see one tracing connections between historians if it’s possible…

• Griff August 21, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

I’ll see what I can do for you Matt.

26. David Marans September 30, 2012 at 8:41 am #

This of mine will, I beleive, interest you.
    Note tat it is a free PDF download.

27. Rene Schlegel (@Rene_Schlegel) November 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Wonderful Work !

28. Stuart November 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Its not my first time to pay a visit this site, i am visiting this site dailly and get pleasant
    data from here all the time.

29. Demetrius January 21, 2013 at 2:06 am #

After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every
    time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment.
    Is there a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

• Griff January 21, 2013 at 4:08 am #

Within your email there should be a stop notifications link which will allow you to deactivate it.

30. marekopel.wordpress.com April 20, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no backup.

Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

• Griff June 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

No hackers yet. It is stored on a secure system but if they get in, they get in. I have backups and nothing is of major value which makes it easier.

31. chevy silverado headlights June 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems?
    A small number of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in
    Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

• Griff June 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

I’ve had no compatibility problems. I primarily use Chrome and can’t complain. I haven’t heard anyone else complain about it either.

32. http://www.berkshirenavigation.org/ July 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a
    famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

33. Stephanie September 13, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Hi, where can I buy this philosophy poster?

• Griff September 13, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Did you just want the philosophers or the one displayed in the post? If so, head to redbubble.com and search for “griffsgraphs”. It should be shown there amongst a few others.

34. Daniela December 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

You can view the latest weather updates through taking a glance at
    your phone’s home screen, where it automatically posts weather info, and all without having to launch the application.
    Virus Barrier X5 is really a popular virus scanner designed for Mac computers.
    The free Lyrics Search app can be acquired at the Android Market.

35. http://www.youtube.com January 13, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

In fact, getting tthe right plumbers anywhere iis a tough job.
    Being a plumber is a lot more technical than that and requires numerous
    years of training. If a plumbing specialist migyht be needed, ensure the professional supplies an itemized estimation of manual labor and parts.

36. plantar fasciitis patient information February 7, 2014 at 9:38 am #

I’m extremely inspired together with your writing
    skills as ell as wirh the structure on your weblog.

Is that thiis a paid theme or did you customize
    it your self? Anytway stay up the nice high quality writing, it’s uncommon to see a great blog like this one today..

37. Windy February 13, 2014 at 3:39 am #

What’s up, just wanted to tell you, I loved this article.
    It was funny. Keep on posting!

A weblog concerning modern technology: imageryer.com
    (Windy)

38. popgunn3 February 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

I would be very interested as to how Jesus Christ and His disciples (including the Apostle Paul) have influenced leaders and everyday people throughout the world, cultures, nations, governments, and our world view.

In the gospel of Matthew chapter 28 it is recorded… “And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

If Jesus Christ is GOD’s one and only Son, then it stands to reason that His Life and His Word would have influenced and impacted more lives than anyone who has ever lived. I know that His influence totally transformed my heart and my entire life. It would be perhaps the greatest study / graph of all times. (For more on Christ’s influence on our world study… “Evidence that Demands a Verdict; Volume #1″ by Josh McDowell and “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel.)

39. popgunn3 February 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

I would be very interested as to how Jesus Christ and His disciples (including the Apostle Paul) have influenced and changed the lives of leaders and everyday people throughout the world, cultures, nations, governments, and our world view.

If Jesus Christ is GOD’s one and only Son, then it stands to reason that His Life and His Word would have influenced and impacted more lives than any other person who has ever lived. I know that His life, death and resurrection has totally transformed my heart and my entire life. A study of this nature would be perhaps the greatest study and graph in the history of mankind. (For more on Christ’s influence on our world study… “Evidence that Demands a Verdict; Volume #1 & #2″ by Josh McDowell and “The Case for Faith” and “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel.)

40. Bobby March 3, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is an extremely neatly written
    article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more
    of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll definitely return.

41. big win basketball hack March 22, 2014 at 2:39 am #

I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend a while studying much more or working out more.
    Thanks for fantastic info I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

42. Social Wars Hack April 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

Convenient cheat social wars Advice – An Intro

43. Y 3886 April 9, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

The Meridian Norstar system is available zeacom phone system
    as a single and united one. Business owners have a zeacom phone system lot of
    money. If many devices have to be Cisco phone systems
    are not hard; you just need to run separate cabling for the phone system.

44. pepper April 18, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no data backup.
    Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

45. Local Business Accountant Guildford April 18, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Spot on with this write-up, I really believe this site needs far more attention.
    I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the advice!

46. seo April 25, 2014 at 7:09 am #

SEO Company Sydney has very interesting and lucrative services and facilities.
    The professionals of SEO Company in Bangalore keep themselves updated with latest change in
    algorithms of search engines and use banks of keywords
    according to that. Design the site according to the SEO needs:Don’t forget that the
    site design is really crucial and people do not wish to check out websites
    which are dull and strange.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Graphing the history of philosophy « Drunks&Lampposts - July 3, 2012

[...] Graphing Every* Idea In History « Griff's Graphs – July 3, [...]

2. Visualising Related Entries in Wikipedia Using Gephi « OUseful.Info, the blog… - July 4, 2012

[...] [See also: Graphing Every* Idea In History] [...]

3. Graficul tuturor ideilor din istoria lumii | TOTB.ro - Think Outside the Box - July 8, 2012

[...] Griff’s Graphs a folosit baza de date Wikipedia pentru a extrage toate personalităţile care au influenţat lumea [...]

4. The Graph Of Mathematicians « Griff's Graphs - July 10, 2012

[...] of ‘influences’ I thought it would be interesting to examine a few subnetworks within the large network of everyone. This time I set my scopes on mathematicians. There is no primary reason why other than – I [...]

5. Who influenced who? An epic data visualisation | Neurobonkers.com - July 16, 2012

[...] who initially used the technique to map the links between philosophers. The technique has been applied by the blogger Brendan Griffen to include a broader snapshot of Wikipedia. In the graph below each [...]

6. The World’s Ideas, Visualized [Visualization] « VidenOmkring - July 16, 2012

[...] profile on Wikipedia that had an “influenced by” or “influences” field. Griffen explains: It really is fascinating (to me at least) to start at one node and bounce along the connections to [...]

7. The World’s Ideas, Visualized | Gizmodo Australia - July 17, 2012

[...] profile on Wikipedia that had an “influenced by” or “influences” field. Griffen explains: It really is fascinating (to me at least) to start at one node and bounce along the connections [...]

8. Undead Astronauts » Graphing influence of ideas - July 17, 2012

[...] unfortunately insanely biased towards western ideas, so that the creator’s claim to graph every idea in history is misleading at best. But what it does have is still quite impressive and [...]

9. Graphing Every* Idea In History « vivalist - July 17, 2012

[...] on griffsgraphs.com Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in [...]

10. The Graph Of Ideas | Historoda - July 18, 2012

[...] to create this graph was taken from a Wikipedia database. I know this because he said it himself on his website.  This means that a ton of the information pulled from that database came from English speaking [...]

11. Todas las ideas de la historia en una imagen - July 18, 2012

[...] el artículo de su blog dedicado al tema tenéis toda la información detallada sobre cómo ha realizado la [...]

12. Todas las ideas de la historia en una imagen - July 18, 2012

13. De visualisatie van elk idee in de geschiedenis - Numrush - Nederland - July 18, 2012

[...] visualiseert. Een prachtige plaat, al realiseert Griffen zich ook dat er behoorlijk wat gaten in zijn werk [...]

14. O gráfico de ideias | Vislumbres sobre Visualidade - July 18, 2012

[...] Confira o trabalho final: [...]

15. Der Graf der Graphen » Egostrum - July 18, 2012

[...] Faszinationsgattung fand ich vor einiger Zeit irgendwo auf Facebook und will sie hier teilen: http://griffsgraphs.com/2012/07/03/graphing-every-idea-in-history/ Ein Ausschnitt des Werkes, Nietzsche ist fett. [...]

16. Les Data en forme » OWNI, News, Augmented - July 19, 2012

[...] « ayant influencé ») à l’échelle de Wikipédia tout entier : sa méthodologie est expliquée ici. Le résultat est impressionnant. Tant par sa taille (attention au temps de chargement) que par son [...]

17. Beer at Griff’s Graphs | Hey Analyst! - July 19, 2012

[...] the area of ‘influences’ I thought it would be interesting to examine a few subnetworks within the large network of everyone. This time I set my scopes on mathematicians. There is no primary reason why other than – I [...]

18. Mappare I Più Grandi “Influenzatori” Della Storia? Con Gephi Si Può! « NewsTouch - July 20, 2012

[...] questa mappa e per vedere alcuni settori rilevanti estratti dalla rete globale, vi consiglio di leggere l’articolo originale che potete trovare a questo indirizzo.     Print       [...]

19. The Graph Of Ideas 2.0 « Griff's Graphs - July 20, 2012

[...] Of Ideas 2.0 20 Jul First of all, thanks very much for the feedback you all gave me on my graph of ideas. Lots of great ideas for new projects were sent in which will keep me busy for a long while. Making [...]

20. The Week in Data » OWNI.eu, News, Augmented - July 23, 2012

[...] About a month ago, Simon Raper, a British statistician, tried to represent the history of philosophy and influences between authors. He inspired Brendan Griffen who reproduced his idea by scraping Wikipedia and selecting parts that mentioned “influenced by” or “influencing”.  His methodology is explained here. [...]

21. linkfest – 07/22/12 « hbd* chick - July 24, 2012

[...] bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus: The Graph Of Ideas – graphing every idea in history. don’t miss: Philosophers of antiquity influencing [...]

22. The Web of Knowledge - July 26, 2012

[...] more of this goodness, check out Griff’s subsequent work on The Graph Of Ideas in which he tries to display the interrelation of everyone [...]

23. İnsanlık tarihindeki bütün fikirlerin diyagramı! | Akıl, Beyin ve Yaratıcılık - July 26, 2012

[...] oluşturmuş.Bu diyagramları nasıl oluşturduğunu, yani nasıl bir metodoloji takip ettiğini kendi blogunda detaylı olarak anlatıyor, bense ekte iki tane ilginç örneğine yer veriyor ve kalanını sizin [...]

24. Quora - July 27, 2012

What are the biggest problems in “semantic web” today? What’s wrong with it?…

It does depend on what problem you’re trying to solve, Dan. For media companies trying to scale and at the same time reduce the cost per page, linked data, ontologies and the semantic web stack make sense. Jem Rayfield of the BBC made this point: “Th…

25. Analyse de réseau⎜modéliser l’histoire de la philosophie | Pegasus Data Project - August 6, 2012

[...] de “influencé par” (donc toutes les personnalités de la culture), intitulé “The Graphe of Ideas“. Ci-dessous, le graphe total : Cliquez pour visualiser le graphe en plein écran [...]

26. The influence of ideas | 1000heads: The Word of Mouth People - August 6, 2012

[...] When it comes to the sport of network visualisation, you have to admit this is a gold medal effort. Welcome to Brendan Griffen‘s Graph of Ideas. [...]

27. Links of the week – back to school edition « ivry twr - August 21, 2012

[...] The Graph of Ideas – Griff’s Graphs builds upon the above post to create a network visualization [...]

28. Social Network Analysis | Avy Faingezicht Avy Faingezicht - August 26, 2012

[...] running into the graph of ideas, I was tempted to do some analysis of my own and graphed out my Facebook network using Gephi and [...]

29. Wikimedia Research Newsletter, August 2012 — Wikimedia blog - August 30, 2012

[...] Brendan Griffen: The Graph Of Ideas. Griff’s Graphs, July 3, [...]

30. Visualização sobre o universo das ideias | Daniela Kutschat - September 1, 2012

[...] de evolução das ideias por meio das influências que ocorrem no decorrer do tempo. Por sua vez, The Graph of Ideas também foi influenciado pelo trabalho já comentado anteriormente, em que Simon Raper elabora um [...]

31. Visualizing the History of Philosophy as a social network: The Problem with Hegel | Design and Analytics - September 21, 2012

[...] put together a fantastic visualization of the schools and interconnections among philosophers.  Griffsgraphs followed up by expanding the scrape to the entire network of influencers and influenced on [...]

32. Infografical: Stepping Stones » Infographic Digest: 20 September 2012 - September 22, 2012

[...] examination of the history of ideas and their influence. Here too is a link to take you to his explanation of the process by which he filtered the data set. And now, transcending the whimsical into the realm of the [...]

33. La storia dell’arte e gli ambienti digitali | storie dell’arte - September 28, 2012

[...] La storia dell’arte e gli ambienti digitali Nota su un recente un convegno a Ferrara Posted on 27 Sep 2012 by Claudia Caramanna The Graph of Ideas by Bren­dan Griffen [...]

34. Matemáticos | As Moscas Volantes - October 13, 2012

[...] O Mapa das Idéias [...]

35. Приколы на Мобильном! » доминанты - November 6, 2012

[...] писателей XIX-XX вековЗдесь методика, а также фантасты и несколько поколений [...]

36. Networking Belfast | » Using DBpedia to graph writers influence - November 13, 2012

[...] information to graph the history of philosophy, and a related post that extends the approach to graph the entire influence network on wikipedia.  I decided to do something similar, but I’m looking at authors instead of philosophers, and [...]

37. The Graph of Ideas « Etudes - November 22, 2012

[...] Graphs has a rather heroic attempt at depicting the whole of the humanities through lines of influence (serious caveats apply). On [...]

38. What’s the Most Important Theorem? | Computational Story Lab - December 2, 2012

[...] one might idly think of extending this analysis to all of human knowledge. In that direction, Griff over at Griff’s Graphs has been making some very nice pictures leveraging the work of all [...]

39. The Graph Of Ideas « rdunks1 - December 5, 2012

[...] is quite possibly the coolest thing I’ve ever seen: The Graph Of Ideas. I want to graph this myself and then graph everything else I can [...]

40. Розсилка Плахтія « Тарас Плахтій - December 7, 2012

[...] 15. The Graph Of Ideas http://griffsgraphs.com/2012/07/03/graphing-every-idea-in-history/ 16. Іван Полозенко: Точки росту: нова перспектива [...]

41. A rede de relações das ideias | Vislumbres sobre Visualidade - January 21, 2013

[...] Brendan Griffen conseguiu criar uma visualização bastante interessante, baseado nos registros da Wikipédia. Com um algorítimo engenhoso, ele conseguiu extrair de trechos como “influenciado por” dos artigos esta rede de relações e com isso gerar esse gráfico. [...]

42. Graphing Every Idea In History - Answers To Unasked Questions - March 16, 2013

[...] Here are the methods, as well as several generations of science fiction writers and philosophers. [...]

43. Der Graph der Philosophinnen - March 20, 2013

[...] visualisierte. Bald darauf erstellte Brendan Griffen eine erweiterte Version und nannte sie The Graph Of Ideas – eine Darstellung einflussreicher Gedanken, Ideen und Strömungen. Sprung: Ende 2012 kam [...]

44. Wikipédia, indispensable outil de mise en réseau de la connaissance ? - Martin Grandjean - April 11, 2013

[...] de l’organisation du savoir en réseau dans l’initiative de Brendan Griffen (en anglais; en français) qui fait le pont entre le réseau réel de l’objet décrit par [...]

45. Le numérique, un outil au service de la culture ou un simple gadget technologique ? - Martin Grandjean - May 16, 2013

[…] : Brendan Griffen The Graph of Ideas […]

46. Idazketa (weekly) | Klaserako tresnak - May 26, 2013

[…] The Graph Of Ideas « Griff’s Graphs […]

47. What’s the Most Important Theorem? | Computational Story Lab - May 29, 2013

[…] one might idly think of extending this analysis to all of human knowledge. In that direction, Griff over at Griff’s Graphs has been making some very nice pictures leveraging the work of all […]

48. Chronik | myim - June 5, 2013

[…] The Graph Of Ideas | Griff´s Graphs […]

49. O gráfico das ideias | Charlezine - August 24, 2013

[…] Clique aqui para obter mais informações sobre o projeto (em inglês). […]

50. Graphing the History of Philosophical Influences | Daily Nous - April 21, 2014

[…] Brendan Griffen ran with this and created “The Graph of Ideas.” He writes: […]